Monday, September 15th – Just Another Manic Monday

Geez, these cheeks are getting a bit out of control…

Riley continues to do well…the nurse mentioned she did give Riley O2 during her feedings this am.  I explained why I felt it’s not really an oxygen issue with her, and the nurse informed me this is something we will discuss in rounds so that we’re consistent with Riley’s care and it’s not so all over the place.  Sounds like a plan.


During rounds, still no official MRI results but the preliminary report showed no abnormal findings.  Although it’s not official, this is really great news!  They discussed the oxygen issue, and the decision was made to keep Riley on O2 during feedings only (nursing or bottle).  She will go home with the same “prescription,” O2 during feedings, and we will follow up in the apnea clinic in a month to see if she continues to need the oxygen.  They also decided she won’t be going home on a monitor, which I guess is good.  The reason I say “I guess” is because she won’t have the leads and wires to deal with which is great, and I certainly don’t feel it’s necessary for when she’s awake or feeding, but it’s the night time I’m a little bit worried about. However, Riley hasn’t had any b’s or d’s that haven’t been related to feedings in quite some time, and if the docs aren’t concerned, I shouldn’t be either.  We have one of those video monitors at home that has a sensor that we can attach to Riley and it will detect if she stops breathing.  That should suffice.  Finally, the car seat test and an audiology exam will happen before discharge, which is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, as they would like to monitor her for 72 hours on this new, more consistent schedule.   Ironically, September 18th (which is Thursday) was my original due date before they gave us the 28th after our initial ultrasound.  Weird how everything happens.

Wait, what happened?

Feedings went ok today.  A little choking episode during one, but no biggy, and she actually couldn’t finish her bottle during another feeding because she was pooped (not literally, for once).  This is because she was up partying for 2 1/2 hours in between this feeding and the previous, and I think she wore herself out.  The nursing ordeal is the same…she’s using her hands more than her mouth, and she treats me like a toy rather than her mother trying to provide her with sustenance.  She will learn one of these days….maybe.

This is my nursing position…really into it.

So I went for a little walk in the afternoon to go get a coffee, and as I’m walking into Peet’s Coffeehouse, I hear “Hi Brooke.”  I turn around, wondering who I may have run into, and what do you know…it’s the guy who works at the Starbucks (located across from Peet’s Coffee), who has apparently written my name on too many coffee cups.  It was kinda creepy, and also sad…another reminder that we’ve been here a little too long.

Once we got home, Ian and I sat down to relax a bit.  I logged onto the nicview camera website, and there she was…Riley Mae in her car seat, eyes wide open, looking like she’s ready to go.  It was adorable.

Almost home, Riley Mae.  Another day closer…another day stronger.

What my shirt says…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s