Sunday, July 13th – We’ll take boring…


Today overall was an uneventful, boring day.  It was great.  Ian and I came over early this am (around 6:45am, as we like to be there when the nurses change shifts.  We heard no news overnight, and we always say, “no news is good news.”

Per the nurse, Riley’s vitals remained stable over night, and they were able to get her down to 28% O2.  Throughout the day she would have a slight decrease in sats, with slight changes in O2 requirements, but this is to be expected.  We’ll take it.

During morning rounds, the doctors again discussed the plan to perform the echo tomorrow (Monday), and they wanted to also do a repeat ultrasound of her head.  Riley had an ultrasound completed when she was first born as part of routine procedure, The reason for this is premature babies are at risk to have cerebral bleeding (an Intraventricular hemorrhage, IVF).  These IVF’s are assigned grade levels (1 to 4) according to their location and size.  Grades 1 and 2 are mild, generally resole themselves, and have no long-term problems associated with them.  Grades 3 and 4, however, are more severe bleeds which can affect the substance of the brain or cause the fluid-filled structures (ventricles) in the brain to expand rapidly.  This can cause increased pressure on the brain that can lead to brain damage bringing about complications such as cerebral palsy and learning and behavioral problems.  Riley’s initial ultrasound showed a Grade 1, possible Grade 2 bleed.  They will perform a repeat ultrasound given everything that she has gone through this past week and to make sure there haven’t been any changes.  Otherwise, they continue to wean her from the ventilator and she continues to sunbathe under the blue lights.

Ian’s family came for a visit today, and they were able to see their grandchild and niece (or at least try to see around the protective eye gear and equipment.  We went out to lunch, trying to return to some level of normalcy.  Slowly but surely.  

I had another opportunity to see and touch Riley this evening.  The nurse was weighing her, so the protective eye gear was removed and she was temporarily disconnected from the ventilator.  The nurse held her out in the air and i got to grab her little hand and kissed her arm.  These moments are something I will never take for granted.  Not after everything we’ve been through.

We returned to our hotel for another decent night of sleep.  Life was good.  Riley was alive was becoming more stable with each day…another day stronger.  What a fighter.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s